Saturday, September 11, 2010

Tintagel Castle

       It was a cool crisp morning at Land's End and, it was also mid October. The sun graced us twice our entire trip. I remember listening to the weather forecast and the announcer would say in his awesome british accent " we'll have periods of brightening today". What that meant was the sun won't appear at all but the clouds might thin out enough that you know it's daytime! The air posessed this amazing ability to permeate anything you thought might keep you warm. Nonetheless we were very excited to be hiking up the cliff trails to the castle ruins. I enjoyed looking out at the velvety green grass that covered most of the grounds. I could also imagine myself in a heavy purple velvet gown walking around the grand hall. One couldn't  help but notice  the distance they had to travel for provisions and water.  It seems that every time I've had the opportunity to explore ruins in another country I always tried to imagine what their life was like. I believe that it really does help to expand one's horizons when they've had the opportunity to travel and see with their own eyes what life is like in other countries.
     

3 comments:

  1. I am so jealous England is definitely a place I would love to visit. I found the description of the area in general very interesting, great detail. You titled your free write with the castle name but it wasn't until after i read it twice that I noticed, i was a little lost it may be good to put the name into your writing ex “hiking up to the ruins of the _____ castle. It seems as if your thoughts were well thought out instead of just a free write. I would love to have an experience like this but as of yet I cant say I can relate Canada is the only place outside the US I've been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do a great way of painting your emotions out for us. I love travel, although my experiences are a bit limited. Great topic, I actually Googled the place to check it out more! I love that before I scrolled down to see the picture, the one you had created in my mind looked very similar to its' real image. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the detail Mary! England does look and sound like amazing place to travel to and visit. Where in England were you at most of your trip? Did you get to see other castles? I like the writing style for it covers some of the senses however I am interested in hearing more about the trip! England sounds like a wonderful place to visit, someday I may have the opportunity to travel there.

    ReplyDelete